The Returnee Resident What is a TRN?There is one item, one of the most important Jamaican documents that every Jamaican, returnee resident, or individual who wants to do business, own a home, open a bank account in Jamaica and that is the TRN, which is the abbreviation for the Taxpayer Registration Number.

What is a TRN used for?

Well, it acts just like a National Insurance or Social Security number. It is a small credit card sized document that has a 9 digit number with your full name on it plus a barcode and you will need to apply for if you plan on doing any business in Jamaica, whether personal or commercial. So, for instance, if you wish to open a bank account, purchase your dream home, obtain a Jamaican Driver’s Licence you will need a TRN.

Returnee Resident Jamaican TRN Card

How To Apply for a TRN

Fortunately, it’s not a long process to get a TRN number and the steps are as follows:

  1. Complete the TRN application form. This can be obtained online from the TAJ, Tax Administration Jamaica or you can go into any one of the Parish Tax offices across the island.
  2. When completing the form you must have valid identification such as a Jamaican passport or a new style Jamaican Birth Certificate (not the little slip of paper that your mother has in that special document handbag:-)).
  3. Once you have done this making sure your signature on the form is signed the same as on your identification you will be issued with a slip of paper with the TRN number which you can begin to use temporarily until the credit card sized TRN is ready to be collected. Simple!

Truth be told two relatives of mine recently applied for their TRN at the local Tax Office and all they had to do was fill out the form, one showed his overseas driver’s licence and the other his new Jamaican birth certificate and Voila! they got their TRN. That was it.!

So although certain instructions are listed on these government agency websites there doesn’t seem to be an exact hard and fast rule that is followed depending who you deal with in the office when it comes to the application process. So just go for it and see what happens.

  1. If you are planning on applying for your TRN while overseas there are a couple of additional steps that you have to do to obtain it especially if you have family or friends in Jamaica.
  • Fill out the TRN application form
  • Your completed application form along with the relevant identification will need to be notarized by a Notary Public. The Jamaica High Commission where you are can perform this service but you can also obtain a list of lawyers who can perform notarial services nearest to you just by googling “Jamaican notary public in UK or USA”, for instance. (To note: there are fees involved to perform this service).
  • You will need to draft a letter of authorization which also needs to be signed off by a Notary Public stating who will collect the TRN on your behalf and this is where your family or friends who live in Jamaica play a part.
  • Once this is all done it’s best to photocopy all the documents and send the originals via courier/special registered insured mail to your named family representative to apply for your TRN on your behalf.
  • Please be aware that this process can take up to 8 weeks to receive your TRN card but your representative will obtain the TRN number itself before this.

You might find this TRN Made Easy Guide useful.

Other Important Jamaican Documents

If you do not have valid identification such as a Jamaican Passport or Birth Certificate then you can find out what to do by following the guide in How To Obtain Your Jamaican Birth Certificate or How to Get or Renew Your Jamaican Passport. If you are like me and are wanting to live in Jamaica under parentage then you will have to, first of all, apply for Jamaican Citizenship before you can get a Jamaican Passport. I will go into detail about this in another post.

If you found the information on how to go about getting those important Jamaican documents useful please let me know and don’t be afraid to get in touch if you need information on anything else. Also, please share this post with others.

The Returnee Resident